The St. Christopher's School Lockdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Police Quest is back?

+4
WeiMi
Intendant S
Laney Berry
Dylan Melowitz
8 posters

Go down

Police Quest is back? Empty Police Quest is back?

Post by Dylan Melowitz Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:26 pm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/precinctgame/precinct

http://kotaku.com/guys-police-quest-is-basically-back-796665191

I've purchased the Police Quest series on GoG before and never got into them. I didn't think they were designed very well, as I was never quite sure what to do.
Though that might have been my fault.

Jim Walls is back, with a new take on the Police Quest series.
And in all honesty.....I like it.
I think it looks really cool.
Expensive at 30 dollars for the game, and at 500K for the funding goal.
I think the tiers they have set up are not very enticing, those should be updated to garner a lot more backers very soon.

You guys have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Dylan Melowitz on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dylan Melowitz
Dylan Melowitz
St. Christopher's Alumni

Back to top Go down

Police Quest is back? Empty Re: Police Quest is back?

Post by Laney Berry Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:33 pm

I have to say I'm all for a new Jim Walls game! Police Quest 1 and 2 are a couple of games which I haven't replayed too much, but I do have fond memories of them. They had design flaws, for sure, but I liked what they were trying to do, and when it all clicked, it worked wonderfully.

So, I'd love to see how Walls' design philosophy has matured!

Last edited by Laney Berry on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Laney Berry
Laney Berry
Admin

http://www.classroom-graffiti.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intendant S Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:59 pm

I'll be honest. Police Quest was my least favorite of the Sierra series that I've played. Still, I liked the stories enough to go in for a low level tier.
Intendant S
Intendant S
St. Christopher's Alumni

http://www.kickstartadventure.com/home/

Back to top Go down

Post by Laney Berry Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:33 pm

You know what I would love to see? A Laura Bow Kickstarter!
Laney Berry
Laney Berry
Admin

http://www.classroom-graffiti.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intendant S Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:09 pm

I'd LOVE to see a new Laura Bow game, too!
Intendant S
Intendant S
St. Christopher's Alumni

http://www.kickstartadventure.com/home/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan Melowitz Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:16 pm

I'd like to see a Kickstarter to get the rights to the Blade Runner game. For re-release purposes, and maybe even a possible sequel.

With the Blade Runner 2 film looking like its going to happen, the timing could be quite good for that.
Dylan Melowitz
Dylan Melowitz
St. Christopher's Alumni

Back to top Go down

Post by WeiMi Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:23 pm

Not my first choice if it comes to Sierra but curious about the new project.
First comment made by Ken Williams btw. - I'd be pleased if Ken and Roberta would start one by their own eventually.

I'd like to see another Manhunt adventure from the Sierra legacy - "just" with better puzzles and less illogicality.
Loved the post-apocalyptic setting and seriousness.

Blade Runner 2 - hopefully they won't screw it up but as it seems R. Scott is still involved there's hope I'd guess.

@Laney - speaking of dystopian -  *afair* I've mentioned Blade Runner If it came to that but to my shame not  Philip K. Dick who's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" was source of Blade Runner - and his stories influenced more like Total Recall, Minority Report etc.
WeiMi
WeiMi
St. Christopher's Alumni

Back to top Go down

Post by Robot Fencer Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Police Quest was a series that I liked despite its flaws. Jim Walls was not a great game designer or writer, but he was sincere in a way that's impossible to imitate. I think the earnestness of the Police Quest games is what gets me. They come right from the heart.

Police Quest 1 is probably my favorite (there's just something I love about AGI), though I did have a lot of fun with 2 as well. There were pretty some annoying design flaws there, however. Don't even mention "re-aligning the sights" to me.

I remember thinking the 3rd game was pretty shitty though.

Still, this is exactly the kind of thing I am guaranteed to throw money at.

WeiMi wrote:I'd be pleased if Ken and Roberta would start one by their own eventually.

Now that Lori and Corey Cole, the Two Guys from Andromeda, Jane Jensen, Jim Walls, and Al Lowe have all resurfaced on Kickstarter, I'm just hoping that Roberta Williams will too, because that would be awesome. I'd love to see Christy Marx back too (Conquests of the Longbow, Conquests of Camelot).

It's like the second coming of Sierra up in Kickstarter these days.
Robot Fencer
Robot Fencer
St. Christopher's Alumni

http://englishmajorgleereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jonberry Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:44 am

Hard to figure out my appropriate level of excitement for this. The first two Police Quests were fantastic, if in my opinion, ridiculously difficult to beat without a walkthrough. But still a great ride playing them. The series did decline into some weird... murky pseudo actiony adventure game that never quite worked in my opinion. Looking at the kickstarter, it seems like a lot of the focus (at least on the boards here) seems on an action element.

I'm sure it'll be fun, but I hope Jim Walls realizes the point and click storytelling was the strong point of the series.

I do have to say I love the weird... through the looking glass feeling of the games though. Whereas in so many other adventure games, theft and general mischief are absolutely necessary to advance, here was a game where even writing the wrong parking ticket was punished.

jonberry

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoHawk Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Police Quest was a hard Sierra game. I remember trying to two finger peck "use nightstick" in time. The police setting and attention to detail was unique, and the story was engaging enough.

I like how Precinct is changing the Police Quest formula. Some situations in Police Quest had a sense of urgency. It makes sense to deal with them as you find them. UI that pops up with police responses rather than waiting for the player to pixel hunt, look at everything, and combine inventory items is a good approach. Combining adventure game exploration with scenes with scripted choices could both tell a story and be a police game.

It's good they fixed the tiers so that there is cheaper options for the game, but I don't know if that's going to be enough to get it funded. It probably changes the formula too much for people who want another Police Quest, so it will be difficult to connect to an audience.
IndigoHawk
IndigoHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Robot Fencer Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:10 pm

IndigoHawk wrote:I remember trying to two finger peck "use nightstick" in time.

I remember it being a godsend when I discovered that the game accepted "PR-24" as a synonym for "nightstick."
Robot Fencer
Robot Fencer
St. Christopher's Alumni

http://englishmajorgleereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guran Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:07 am

Laney Berry wrote:You know what I would love to see? A Laura Bow Kickstarter!

That would be awesome! The Dagger of Amon Ra scared the shit out of me when everyone around me turned into corpses! It was quite unforgiving and I had difficulty answering the questions in the end, since I missed many clues.

I liked Police Quest, but a point and click engine wasn't great for action elements. As Jon said it was the investigation and story parts that made it unique. Got a bit of that old Police Quest feeling when I played L.A. Noire.
Guran
Guran
St. Christopher's Alumni

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum